Thoughts and observations on God, Culture, and Life in general.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Time Will Tell


You ever have one of those conversations that just melt away all of the stress? It feels like someone is finally hearing what you are saying and listening? Yeah I had that last night with a good fried of mine. I found myself being listened to, and yet challenged by the tough questions he was asking back to me. That is what community looks like in my mind. We were actually sharing life, the depths of our souls, our fears and celebrations. All in all the two and a half hour conversation was one of the most refreshing I've had in a while. It's nice to know you can be authentically who you are and yet still be accepted - despite your shortcomings, your fears and your biased opinions.

I think God created us to connect with people in this way. I don't see life as a free-for-all to kind of skate by without interaction. I see people I know doing this all the time, always living by themselves, not reaching out and then saying they are lonely. But the way God set us up inside, it seems as though we must step out of the "American suburbanite" way of thinking and living. We need to move nearer to our communities, share in life so that we will know when someone needs to be picked up, and not have to be told. I believe this is the kind of bond that is meant for us as God's creation. If you look at 1 & 2 Samuel, you will see all over those books a man named Abishai. This man lived in such close community with King David, he repeatedly knew of the hardships of the King and the threats on his life and was willing to risk his own for his friend. (1 Samuel 26:6 - 26:9)

These are the types of people I want to surround myself with. People who live life together, who rally around one another and look for opportunities to serve and protect the very life God has given us. That's is sacrifice and commitment all wrapped into one. Now where do we start?...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home