Thoughts and observations on God, Culture, and Life in general.

Monday, November 14, 2005

The Great Return

I just made it back from an incredible time in the Ukraine. The trip was amazing in every facet, and we saw God working in us and through us despite cultural boundaries and language barriers. The encouragement that we received from our partners in the Ukraine as well as the many we reached out to may have very well exceeded our own encouragement to them. The pastors in Kiev labor so hard to reach people, and despite a spiritual interest, there is very little response in the form of changed lives. It almost appeared to me that people would prefer to stay in their known bondage, rather than exchange it for an unknown freedom. I can honestly say that I see very little difference in my heart sometimes.

An unusual thing for me happened on this trip - I had no control. I couldn't control the schedule, I couldn't make people on time, I couldn't speak or read the language. All I could do was be 100% me and hope that God would some how in some way use that as I learned to rely more and more on Him. For all of us on the trip I think we left with expectations, and ended up finding things out about ourselves we never could have guessed. I know I learned a lot about myself, who I am, where my heart is and how honest I have been about it all. Change is a frightening thing sometimes, but it is also often necessary. Now it is time to listen, to reflect and to hear from God - that He would draw near. I know He will if I stay still for a moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home