Thoughts and observations on God, Culture, and Life in general.

Friday, August 12, 2005

A Higher Calling?

Our link (A Higher Calling) today will take you to Word made Flesh's Website - check out what they are doing around the world.

I have received many an email and very few actual comments on my previous blog entitled "Sell-Out." I suppose these people wanted to remain anonymous, but I can't figure out why. Most of my friends who made mention of the posting showed concern, wanted to "make sure I was alright." I found that pretty disheartening, like my words had meant nothing, or that the true meaning or spirit of the post was lost. What I really was referring to, is not just that I am a sell-out, but really what the cost of following Jesus is for me. Check out what Jesus says,
Mark 10:21 (New International Version)
21Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Now it is cool to note that Jesus looked at him and loved him, but it didn't change the fact that this guy was clinging to more than stuff - but the comfort of having enough, without fully having all of God. Now all of you who read this, can think what you want about yourselves, only you and God know the truth. However, for me, I know that simply living in America, I am blessed with more than enough to live. I live comfortably, more comfortably than I have to, and my money is primarily headed to my stomach, saving for my future, and supporting a church of middle class Americans. Not that my church isn't doing amazing things in the city we are in and reaching out to be the voice of hope to the marginalized people in Royal Oak. But, I am not changing, other than becoming more and more numb to the world around me that needs Jesus and does not have a relationship with him. And it is this "stuff" the things that occupy hours of my day and life, but really don't serve to advance the kingdom most effectively, that I look back on my life and I think, is my comfort really worth the salvation of others? Most times I shrug it off and hide behind my, "I'm trying hard enough to convince other people" argument, but let's face it, God is the final judge of those who are impacting the world around them for His glory and not our own.

That's the sell-out. I know that a life full of Christ and materially poor is better than my current personal relationship situ with Jesus. I have plenty here and now, but the treasures in heaven are not really being built that much. I only hope I can learn to trust more so that I will run far away from the the dreams of others, to live the ones God has for my life.

Blessings to all who hear.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at a prayer meeting a few months ago and a lady made a very wise comment before we began to pray. We were getting ready to pray for a missionary who was in a country with other missionaries who were being tortured and he and his family were leaving the country. It was strange how we all felt kind of, almost guilty that we were in the comfort of America and this Christian was struggling just to survive. This lady talked about how God places us in different trials. We each have them whether we acknowledge it or not. For us who are American Christians we have the trial of prosperity. What are our priorities in our life? It may not be that He wants us to give all of our money to the poor but it may be that He wants us to put Him first in our daily life. What priority do we give to spending time with Him in His word? He wants our devotion first. When He has that He will have our money as well.

11:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home